Strawberry Mandarin Salad with Sweet Onion Vinaigrette
Fresh mixed greens tossed with seasonal strawberries and sweet mandarin oranges, with a tangy onion vinaigrette.
- 1 large bowl mixed field greens
- 16 sliced fresh ripe strawberries
- 1 small can mandarin oranges, drained, reserve juice 11 oz can or a few fruit cups
- ¼ red onion sliced into thin strips
- 2 Tbsp unsalted sunflower seeds
Sweet Onion Vinaigrette
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp juice from mandarin oranges if using canned
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp dry mustard or dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 Tbsp very finely minced or grated sweet onion
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine dressing ingredients and whiz in a blender or shake until well mixed. If using blender, drizzle olive oil in last and let emulsify. If shaking in jar, dressing will be thinner.
Arrange rinsed and dried lettuce mix in a large bowl or individual serving sized bowls. Top with onion, fresh sliced strawberries and halved mandarin orange sections.
Drizzle dressing over top and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
Dressing recipe makes a large amount, enough for a very large salad. It will keep for a few weeks in the fridge.