Sometimes the simplest things are the best. The humble potato, pre boiled, then roasted in olive oil and tossed with rosemary until they’re soft on the inside yet golden and crispy on the outside. Rosemary Roasted Potatoes go great with a roast beef or rack of lamb.
I like to use red skinned potatoes for this recipe, mainly because they just look nice. And, make sure you cut them in half so there’s a flat side to lay in the hot olive oil to get that nice golden exterior.Jump to Recipe
You can use larger potatoes too. Just cut them in quarters or chunks, that way you’ll have lots of flat sides to get browned and they’re bite sized. If I’m using larger potatoes, I peel them because they aren’t as pretty as red skinned potatoes.
How to make perfectly roasted potatoes
You might be wondering why bother pre boiling? Well, here’s the thing. This extra step gives you potatoes with a soft fluffy interior and a crispy browned exterior. Kind of like the best french fries you’ve ever had. Just toss the cut potatoes in a pot of boiling salted water and boil until you can just poke a knife through. Maybe 10-15 minutes depending on the size and type of potatoes. Then drain them well and let them sit at least a few minutes until they’re totally dry.
Fresh herbs are awesome, except in this case. They will burn if cooked too long so use dried rosemary or add fresh rosemary for the last 10 minutes or so. Toss the potatoes in lots of olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Spread them out in a baking dish so they’re not crowded together to give them lots of room to brown. Then roast in the oven for about 25-30 minutes.
Here’s the recipe:
Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
- 24 baby red skinned potatoes or regular potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried rosemary or 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- Generous course salt and cracked black pepper
- Rinse red skinned potatoes and remove any eyes or marks. Cut in half or quarters. Or if using larger brown skinned potatoes, peel and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook potatoes just until a knife can be inserted. Drain well and allow to dry.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil and rosemary until well coated Season with salt and pepper. Arrange potatoes in a baking dish large enough that they can be spread out without crowding to ensure maximum browning.
- Roast on the middle rack of an oven at 350° until golden brown and crispy. Stir potatoes carefully after about 15 minutes, trying not to break them up.
- If using fresh rosemary, add it at this point and continue to cook 10-15 minutes longer until potatoes are golden brown.