Greek Salad is a simple recipe that has a fantastic flavour and only takes a few minutes to prepare. It’s best when the ingredients are fresh and in season. You can add cooked pasta and extra dressing to make a greek pasta salad, or you can add lettuce and make it a tossed salad. So this is actually 3 recipes for the price of one! And best of all you don’t even need to measure the salad ingredients because the amounts don’t have to be exact.
Simply chop up seedless cucumbers, red onion, sweet red pepper and slice your cherry tomatoes in half or quarters depending on the size. Add sliced Kalamata olives and crumbled feta. Prepare dressing by mixing together olive oil, red wine vinegar, freshly squeezed lemon juice, dijon mustard, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. You need very little dressing for a basic Greek Salad. If you’re lucky enough to have fresh oregano it’s a nice addition to the salad.
Red onions are an excellent addition to this salad, unless you’re serving to people who have, ahem, difficulty with raw onion. A trick that helps take away some of the sharpness of raw onions is to slice them, then soak in ice water. Drain and add to the salad right before serving.
That’s it! Toss before serving. This only keeps for a day or so.
I like to read labels and make sure I’m buying authentic ingredients. I found feta that was actually made in Greece! If you read the fine print you will notice many products try to fool you with secret words (Greek “style” cheese) and labels that use colours that make you think it’s from that country (like blue and white). That’s sneaky.
Make it a Greek themed meal and try Moussaka!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes about 1½ cups
- 1 seedless cucumber
- ½ sweet red pepper
- ¼ cup sliced kalamata olives
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion optional, soak in cold water for milder taste
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano optional
- 1 clove very finely minced garlic
- pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- Slice cucumber lengthwise in half, then lengthwise into quarters. Chop into bite sized pieces.
- Half or quarter tomatoes based on size to keep salad components similar sizes.
- Chop red pepper into bite sized pieces.
- Thinly slice onion. To take away some of the sharpness, soak in cold water until serving salad.
- Arrange vegetables in serving dish. Top with crumbled feta and sliced olives.
- Prepare dressing by whisking together all ingredients. Pour over salad and stir. Top with additional cracked black pepper and soaked onions if desired.